tcp_mtu_probing on by default?

Bedwell, Jordon jordon at envygeeks.com
Wed Feb 8 20:45:36 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 2:51 AM, Ritesh Raj Sarraf <rrs at researchut.com> wrote:
> I have tried using it in the past because of my b0rken wireless router
> from the ISP which had a different, non-standard, MTU size.

There is no standard MTU size.  There are ranges and mins but...

> Will setting it on create trouble? Not sure. This will need testing.

Yes, it could create quite a bit of trouble for a lot of people that's
why it's disabled by default.  It would be better to add the option to
Network Manager with tcp_base_mss but meh people will argue that it
won't cause trouble or people will argue no matter what.