Fwd: Chef-server

John Moser john.r.moser at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 18:45:57 UTC 2012

Gentlemen,

It appears that Chef packages are hit-and-miss in Universe in Ubuntu.  They
are also not entirely present in Debian, although present in earlier Ubuntu
installations.  See Debian:

http://packages.debian.org/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=chef-server

And Ubuntu:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=chef-server

Packages and source tarballs appear available from this location:

http://apt.opscode.com/pool/main/

Potentially these are appropriate for multiverse, if the Chef developers
are willing to submit them.  Some packages in Debian have DFSG designation,
so I assume some modifications are necessary for inclusion of Chef in
Universe or Main.

I am simply at a loss as to why some packages have been brought over, yet
others have not.  Perhaps the client is simply more "open" and thus easier
to import by policy, and so the bits needed to interact with a server are
brought in functionally but the bits needed to run a server are left out.
That would at least be a valuable effort and explain the current state of
things.  But that is simply speculation on my part.