Possible inclusion of zram-config on default install

John Moser john.r.moser at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 22:42:19 UTC 2012

it's a definite win for large configurations infrequent swapping, much
more additional RAM), as well as for small configurations where there's
a lot of swapping (faster than swapping).

I wrote and use an init script that breaks up the zswap into n devices,
1 per cpu execution thread, to fully parallel the operation.  If you
swap 64KiB at once with 8 core plus hyperthreading, the kernel will do
16 4k pages in parallel under that configuration--big, multi-CPU,
hypethreaded servers (it's a big 30% gain with parallel like threads,
i.e. compression) benefit much from this.

Less useful in VMs, where such things should really happen at the
hypervisor.