can't use apt-get command with ubuntu core

Emmet Hikory persia at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 4 14:14:17 UTC 2012

Saqlain Abbas wrote:
> I have installed Ubuntu core on VM i followed instruction from
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Core
>
> I am able to boot and login, but if try apt-get install I get below errors,
> my system (virgin ubuntu core) got no packages installed like synaptic
> package manager etc
>
> "could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock -open (13:permission denied)
> unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg) , are you root?"
>
> I can't try using "sudo" command as it is not installed on (ubuntu core).

    If you wish to run apt-get, you will either need to grant a root password,
and use su, or mount the filesystem on some other machine, chroot into it, and
install sudo from the chroot.

> [T]he user i created "ubuntu" I added it to adm and sudo groups,
> "groups" command shows it is added to "ubuntu" "adm" and "sudo" groups. My
> other part of question is as user is added to sudo group why i got no
> "root" permission?

    Because the sudo package is not installed, so there is no interpretation
of the sudo group meaning anything.  While the adm group does grant the ability
to access many files, it does not provide for any sort of root access.

--
Emmet HIKORY