Installation of Ubuntu Core on Virtual Machine

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com
Sat Dec 1 21:08:00 UTC 2012

On 1 December 2012 07:19, Saqlain Abbas <saqlain.abbas.7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to create a custom Ubuntu Distro and want to start with Ubuntu core,
> i have gone through below links...
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Core
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Core/InstallationExample
>
> My question is is it possible to create Ubuntu core while in Virtual Machine
> (my host machine is Ubuntu 12.04), i later on also want to test it on VM
> i.e. creating ISO... I am new to distribution creating kindly guide me...

Ubuntu Core is meant to be installed on-to target machine and then
directly booted.

If you want to boot in the VM, that means you should create a
virtual-disk (depending on which VM you use it can be a plain img,
qcow files, vdx etc), loop-mount that and follow the Ubuntu Core
instructions with "target disk" being the loop-mounted virtual disk.
Eventually you will setup a VM to use that virtual disk to boot ubuntu
core.

You may be also interested in these wiki pages:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallCDCustomization

As well as live-build & debian-cd software packages.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.