Network Manager dependencies

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 07:29:43 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 3:18 AM, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre
> <mathieu-tl at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 3:24 AM, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Could NM's "Depends" and "Recommends" be pared down for an X-less
>>> use-case? Thanks.
>>
>> "We'll burn that bridge when we get there." :)
>>
>> Seriously though; I agree that some of these requirements are
>> unfortunate, especially with all this coming from glib-networking
>> (which I'll look to make sure is really required). Any help you can
>> provide to reducing these requirements and making NetworkManager
>> suitable on X-less systems is definitely welcome. I recommend you come
>> hang around on #nm on Freenode if it's the case; this is where the
>> upstream NetworkManager development gets done.
>
> I've never used IRC and I'm not a developer so I'll probably feel like
> an alien on #nm!
>
> I'd nevertheless like to help if I can find the time. If I can figure
> out what the deb equivalent of an rpm spec file is, I'll drop the GUI
> dependencies, build a local package, and test it.

I forgot to mention that I installed NM in an X-less Debian 7 VM. Both
the "Depends" and Recommends" are far fewer, so it *ought* to work on
Ubuntu too.

(Side note: the Debian "Depends" don't include polkit so running
"nm-tool" displays a "permission request failed" warning before giving
the network settings; perhaps a case of requirements that are too
pared down...)