Are UI developers all left handed?

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Wed Aug 8 20:29:27 UTC 2012

On 08/08/2012 01:27 PM, Phillip Susi wrote:
> Constructive criticism identifies a problem, explains why it is a
> problem, and suggests what can be done to fix it.  Complaining about
> what was done in the past, and how it was done, often with little
> basis in reality, is ranting.  See the difference?

I said criticism, I said nothing about constructive, you seem to be
under the impression that all criticism must be constructive, this isn't
grade school, I'm not here to tell you how to do your job, or to teach
you how to do it. I just throw the trash out when I don't like it and
move after criticising it.  I've no time to sit down and do what you
guys should have done right, which step one would have been a /real/
usability test.  A 15 person sample group made up of unequal numbers and
a somewhat biased requirement list is far from anything considered good.

Actually you know, to be honest, I wouldn't even criticise Unity if some
people at Canonical weren't so keen/sure on implying it being good and
usable to all and being perfect and having tasteful design decisions.
Or if they would have admitted the Usability test was dodgy.  I would
just consider it another environment I do not like and move on without a
word, but the way past tickets were handled changed that.

> If you want to have a productive discussion, then you should focus on
> explaining why it is any harder for a right handed person to move the
> mouse to the left than to the right, rather than insult me.

Who said I wanted to be productive for you guys? People far higher you
have already established they don't really give a crap about what users
want because it's not tasteful to them. With that said, I've adopted a
criticise, throw out the trash and walk away attitude towards anything
included in Ubuntu now.  That is what's great about Linux, there are so
many ways to make it your own and you get to be selective about where
you give back to opensource.