Are UI developers all left handed?

John Moser john.r.moser at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 19:12:21 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Phillip Susi <psusi at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> On 8/8/2012 11:01 AM, John Moser wrote:
>>>
>>> Put your mouse pointer in the middle of the screen.
>>>
>>> Put your mouse somewhere you can grab it.
>>>
>>> Now reach out and grab the mouse.
>>>
>>> Where does the pointer end up?
>>
>> It ends up in the middle of the screen; if you pick up the mouse off
>> of the pad, it isn't going to move.
>
> AFAIU he means that the momentum of the right hand reaching for the
> mouse moves the pointer to the top right of the screen - or at least
> moves the pointer in that direction.

Indeed, and the implication that away and out is the natural
direction.  Swinging my arm inward and pulling it toward me seems to
put stress on tendons in the shoulder; when the arm is closer, it
pushes against the torso; an inward wrist movement seems more
stressful than an outward one; extending the fingers pushes the mouse
away (and lowers the hand, straightening the wrist), curling them to
pull is more awkward but also common (and tilts the hand upward,
creating a sharp angle at the wrist and increasing stress throughout
the motion).

Though the fact that the fastest and most natural movement when
initially grabbing for the mouse seems to be out and away does seem
significant.