Are UI developers all left handed?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 8 18:35:00 UTC 2012

On 2012/08/08 12:16 (GMT-0400) Phillip Susi composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>>  You're under 40, right? Under 30 too? 20?

> 33 actually, though I don't see what that has to do with the price of
> tea in China.

Sadly obvious. If you've not studiously watched people over 50 or 80 try to
use a computer you should. Then you should be able to discover some important
realities about UI usability.

>>  We all must navigate to a clicking point before clicking. You seem
>>  to be assuming moving a mouse pointer is always easy. It isn't. Put
>>  on your carpal tunnel or arthritis gloves and try it. Even just
>>  using the wrong hand might give you some idea. Maybe the Windows 8
>>  devs have discovered what the OP is getting at.

> I am not aware of CTS or arthritis having a bias towards one side or
> the other.  I assume only that whether you must move to the left or
> the right, either is equally hard or easy.

A natural proclivity on grasping it to send the pointer away from most likely
targets is unhelpful, and even more so when CTS or arthritis makes every
mouse movement difficult. According to the OP, toward upper right is the
natural proclivity of a right-hander, while toward upper left is the natural
proclivity of a left-hander, making natural proclivity helpful to
left-handers and detrimental to right-handers who use Unity and Gnome Shell.
My point is it is even more detrimental for those for whom mouse movement is
difficult.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/