Cleaning up the users and locking down the shells in /etc/passwd

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Mon Sep 26 22:28:21 UTC 2011

Matt, why not create a hardening package? Just write a script that scrubs
/etc/passwd and /etc/group and then create a small package that runs it once
(in postinst). I would also install it in, e.g., /etc/cron.daily so it's
rerun periodically. I haven't kept track of existing hardening packages but
I wouldn't be surprised if somebody else has already done this.

P.S., if you want to have fun with package installation failing try mounting
/tmp as noexec. It's easy to fix - if you know how to do it. If not you'll
bang your head against the wall for hours while you're trying to figure out
why installations are failing.

bear