mysql-server-5.1 no debian-sys-maint?

Jeroen Stikkers jeroen at jeroentje.net
Thu Sep 22 11:43:29 UTC 2011

Hi all,

This is my first post so maybe this issue has been mentioned before, I've tried to find out via Google but haven't been able to verify that it has been mentioned tot this list before, if so please don't shoot me ;-)

After installing the mysql-server-5.1 package in natty (11.04) I got an error form the cron job the next day stating:

/etc/cron.daily/logrotate: error: error running shared postrotate script for '/var/log/mysql.log /var/log/mysql/mysql.log /var/log/mysql/mysql-slow.log ' run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/logrotate exited with return code 1

While researching I found that the account debian-sys-maint mentioned in /etc/mysql/debian.cnf was not created in mysql and logrotate was therefore not able to rotate the logs. When creating the user debian-sys-maint at localhost  in mysql by hand I got an error stating the username was to long (over 16 chars). When leaving off the @localhost part the user was created and I was able to set permissions and logrotate seems to be happy now.

Kind regards,

Jeroen