Plugins written in Python can no longer be enabled

Jean-Philippe Fleury contact at jpfleury.net
Fri Sep 2 19:25:11 UTC 2011

Hi,

I updated to Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 1, and I'm no longer able to enable gedit
plugins written in Python. Example of an error on the terminal:

(gedit:19196): libpeas-WARNING **: Error initializing Python
interpreter: could not import gi
(gedit:19196): libpeas-WARNING **: Please check the installation of all
the Python related packages required by libpeas and try again
(gedit:19196): libpeas-WARNING **: Cannot load Python plugin 'snippets'
since libpeas was not able to initialize the Python interpreter
(gedit:19196): libpeas-WARNING **: Error loading plugin 'snippets'

I created a report about that:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gedit/+bug/839712

for project "gedit". Should I add another project affected by this bug
(for example "libpeas"), so the report could be visible on the adequate
project to be triaged rapidly? I use gedit all the time, so it's a very
big bug for me.

Regards,

Jean-Philippe