Proposal to delay release of Precise Pangolin

Allison Randal allison at canonical.com
Wed Oct 19 15:11:22 UTC 2011

On 10/19/2011 06:02 AM, nick rundy wrote:
> Put the "rapid release" schedule
> on hold temporarily and make an LTS that fixes this stuff.

You'll be pleased to know that bug fixing and quality improvements are
precisely what people are focusing on for the LTS. You won't see much in
the way of new features proposed at UDS-P. This is common for LTS
cycles, but especially strong this cycle. "Quality" is a big part of
being "Precise". :)

It's a common fallacy in software development, thinking "If I only had a
few more weeks, I'd make it so much better". In fact, time-based
releases don't decrease quality, they improve it. Martin Michlmayr gave
a great talk on this at Google a few years ago, based on his research at
Cambridge:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5503858974016723264

Allison