The number of blocks reserved for root should be reconsidered

Vesa Paatero vpaatero at lavabit.com
Tue Oct 18 19:42:48 UTC 2011

Thanks, Bear. I think, though, that when you are running out of disk
space, performance becomes secondary as the priority shifts towards
getting as much space as you can.

So, when you don't have space you prefer a low reservation level and
when you do have abundant space, the reservation level doesn't matter.
That's why I would set the reservation at a level where the necessary
system processes are allowed to function with sufficient space but not
much above that.

Vesa