Ubuntu should move all binaries to /usr/bin/

C de-Avillez hggdh2 at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 2 15:26:17 UTC 2011

On 02/11/11 00:25, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 05:52:16PM -0400, Martin Pitt wrote:
>>> Here's a link to an article that talks about Fedora's idea:
>>> http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Fedora-considers-moving-all-binaries-to-usr-bin-1369642.html?view=print
>> That would mean that we need to drop the possibility to have /usr on a
>> separate partition/network file system, or make the initramfs
>> clever/complicated enough to actually wait for /usr to come up.
> Is a separate /usr currently fully supported in Ubuntu?

Yes, and has been for quite a while this way, at least since Edgy,
when I moved to Ubuntu. In fact, right now, I am running on a system
with many different mount points (including /usr).

The only thing of note I can remember was a regression when we
started with upstart, but it was quickly resolved.

..C..