Ubuntu should move all binaries to /usr/bin/

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Tue Nov 1 22:05:10 UTC 2011

I do think Lennart's arguments in
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.devel/155511/focus%3D155792>
make sense.

On 2 November 2011 07:02, nick rundy <nrundy at hotmail.com> wrote:
> There are several situations where I need to find an executable. One that
> comes immediately to mind is when I need to specify what program to use to
> open an online stream and the program I want is not appearing in an offered
> list. So I need to go find the .exe.

This is a (set of) bugs that ought to be fixed in their own right:
ideally the correct program should just appear in the list, but when
it doesn't the user should not need to poke around on the filesystem
to find it.

> The $which command often can't find the exe because the
> exe has been placed somewhere else (hence why putting all this stuff in one
> place is a good idea).

If it's placed somewhere not on the default path, then it's either an
executable that is not normally intended to be run directly (some
things in /usr/lib), or it came out of a third party installer that
put it in /opt/ or /usr/local/randomprogram or /home.  Ubuntu moving
all the packaged programs doesn't seem very likely to fix that, but
<http://developer.ubuntu.com> might help.