Ubuntu should move all binaries to /usr/bin/

Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals siegfried at gevatter.com
Tue Nov 1 19:52:32 UTC 2011

Hi,

2011/11/1 nick rundy <nrundy at hotmail.com>:
> And one thing Windows does well is make it
> easy to find an executable file (i.e., it's in C:\Program Files\).

This is a joke, right?

> Finding
> an executable file in Ubuntu is frustrating & lacks organization that makes
> sense to users.

You may find the "whereis" command useful. Eg.,
|   $ whereis gedit
|   gedit: /usr/bin/gedit /usr/lib/gedit /usr/share/gedit
/usr/share/man/man1/gedit.1.gz

Most (99.99%) binaries should be in /usr/bin. Some core binaries are
in /bin (for technical reasons) and some system administration
binaries may be in /sbin (for historical reasons). I'd be happy about
an unification here, but as you can see it's not a trivial matter.

In case you installed some application manually, it may be in
/usr/local/bin or somewhere in /opt. This is so you can separate
distribution stuff from other random stuff.

Hope this helps,

Free Software Developer