why is there no mention of the word "Linux" on the ubuntu.com frontpage?

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Thu May 5 18:40:35 UTC 2011

            FUD Alert: please exercise the resistance

> Why is there no mention of the word "Linux" on the ubuntu.com frontpage?

The same reason why you would not run across the word "Debian" on the
main page, unless you explicitly look for it among other 20 menu items:
For commercial purposes Canonical positions Ubuntu as an complete and
independent product, and that has already given a grief to many of
those "best open-source experts from all over the world" Ubuntu
dependent on.

Being more specific about "Linux" -- for Ubuntu, in theory, it is
indeed a replaceable component with existing tentative alternatives,
since Debian provides kFreeBSD and even Hurd kernels-based ports.

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow,   Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences