GNOME Panel dropped in 11.10

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Thu May 5 15:21:51 UTC 2011

> From: Jeremy Bicha <jeremy at bicha.net>
> Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 23:24:17 -0400
>
>Unity actually is
> customizable, perhaps not to the extent that power users like. I'm
> hoping that a simple user-friendly tool will be available in 11.04 to
> change the settings without needing to dig around CCSM or dconf-editor.

I think you mean 11.10?  After all the bad press, I finally tried Unity
out yesterday, and was shocked to discover that I like it quite a bit
and think it has tremendous potential -- nice work, guys.  I'll post a
list of suggested updates for Unity 2.0 after a bit more
experimentation.  (Also note by way of setting a frame of reference that
I prefer using text-keyboard-based interfaces and hate smart phones and
iPads; hence particularly appreciate the care given to keyboard
shortcuts/equivalents.)

Meanwhile, this excellent reference might be of use to people trying to
get up to speed quickly using Unity.  Note especially the links on
customizing Unity; in particular, disabling the global application menu,
which is the single most unfortunate design decision for point-to-focus
users (and frankly anyone that works with non-maximized windows):

  The Power User’s Guide to Unity
http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/4795149014/the-power-users-guide-to-unity