GNOME Panel dropped in 11.10

Bilal Akhtar bilalakhtar at ubuntu.com
Thu May 5 03:52:42 UTC 2011

Hello there!

As you've said, in Ubuntu 11.10 users will have the option to install
GNOME 3 + Shell instead of Unity. One thing to note is that GNOME Panel
hasn't died (yet), its still being actively developed as a GNOME Shell
fallback for systems with GPUs not being able to run GNOME Shell. GNOME
Panel 3 will be in the Ubuntu repositories in 11.10.

So what this means for you, is that you will *still* be able to use
GNOME Panel 3 in Ubuntu 11.10 and later. All you would need to do is
install the gnome-panel package and choose the appropriate session at
login. The experience will be very much similar to that of GNOME2. The
only differences will be the fact that GNOME Panel looks like [1] as
GNOME Developers have made it look and feel as much similar to Shell as
possible.

FOSS is all about choice. If you dislike Unity, you have a ton other
options. But changing DEs doesn't mean changing distros, GNOME Panel
(and also Shell if that's what you want) will run perfectly under Ubuntu
11.04, 11.10, 12.04, 12.10, ..................

Bilal Akhtar

[1]
http://www.vuntz.net/journal/post/2011/04/13/gnome-panel-is-dead,-long-live-gnome-panel!

--