Congrats on 11.04

Rodney Dawes rodney.dawes at canonical.com
Tue May 3 15:07:34 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-04-29 at 21:11 -0400, John Moser wrote:
> By contrast, I am struggling to get rid of this horrible Unity thing
> and get Gnome Shell.
>
> Ubuntu is pulling a Microsoft by using its clout to push a product and
> kill another; they can make Unity default, but they've actively
> removed Gnome Shell to the tune of ...well the PPAs all say "THIS CAN
> BREAK YOUR SYSTEM!!!" Scariness.
>
> So the lesson here is that rather than see Ubuntu users go to Gnome
> Shell, they're making them leave, which is higher impedence and so the
> number of users who will migrate off Ubuntu is a subset of those who
> would instal Gnome Shell.  Another subset is people like me who now
> have 80% of the desktop environment coming out of a PPA.
>
> The Gnome developers are also upset at Canonical.  No idea why.

What I don't understand is why people keep perpetuating this false idea
that Canonical is somehow trying to "kill" gnome-shell here. It's just
not true, and is FUD made up to fit the argument. It has been discussed
at UDS at least twice, when Ubuntu would ship GNOME 3.x, and it was made
clear that 11.04 would almost certainly not include it, due to the major
API/ABI breaks such a huge change induces, limited CD space, etc…

And it's true. Switching to the PPA breaks a lot of things, because of
those changes. And at UDS next week, there is a session discussing the
inclusion of GTK3/GNOME3, and migrating various pieces of technology
to them. GTK+ 3.x is already shipped in Ubuntu proper, as well, so that
it is easier for developers to start migrating things to it for 11.10.

So let's please stop spreading FUD about Canonical/Ubuntu trying to
kill off the upstream gnome-shell, because it's just not true.