Chromium vs Firefox?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sun May 1 15:15:09 UTC 2011

On 2011/05/01 10:36 (GMT-0400) John Moser composed:

> Has anyone yet brought up the potential to ship Chromium default rather
> than Firefox?  At this point it's more advanced methinks, with the only
> likely complaint being that you can't add NoScript or AdBlock+.  Ubuntu
> doesn't ship these default anyway; if you want those things, you can get
> Firefox yourself, as you likely already know what you're doing.

Chromium UI text is fixed tiny, and at 96 DPI. Unless this condition has
changed since I last checked, there's no way to configure it with UI text
large enough to read in 120, 144 or higher DPI environments. Epiphany should
be another option, but it's still missing an option to adjust web page
default text size to taste last I checked in a release version of it. It's
supposed to be there for Gnome 3.

Oh, and I'm running Firefox 2 (without Flash), Firefox 3.6.1x, Firefox 4
(without Flash), SeaMonkey 2.0.x, and SeaMonkey 2.1b3 (without Flash)
simultaneously for a week or more at a time (on openSUSE 11.2 with KDE3)
without crashing. Maybe your crashing problems are connected to the sites you
frequent, or something *buntu is doing differently building Firefox or
installing flash-player than openSUSE, or a different video driver (I'm using
radeon), or Unity (or KDE4)?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/