Working on Evolution code

Marvin Raaijmakers marvin.nospam at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 12:48:09 UTC 2011

I want to work on a solution for bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/evolution/+bug/23810
However I am not sure what is the correct way of working on the code
to eventually make a patch for the evolution package.

To retrieve the source code I did the following:
apt-get source evolution
dpkg-source -x evolution_2.30.3-1ubuntu7.3.dsc

>From here on I stuck actually. How can I compile the code to test it
(so I want this without having to install the software)?  I found that
"dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -b" builds a new package, but this is
not what I want (it also performs a "make clean" so everything will be
recompiled which takes quite some time).

Or is everything I write wrong and should I checkout the source from
the ubuntu (bazaar?) repository?

I did not find a document/web-page answering these questions, so I
hope someone here can help me or point to a document that explains
everything. I think I can fix the bug with only a few lines of code,
so I don't want to spend many hours on finding out how to compile the
code to test it.