IronPython and Mono are very old. How can we get an update?

Vernon Cole vernondcole at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 23:36:25 UTC 2011

Hello, Evan,

I suppose you noticed that there is not a debian package on the mono
download list? Their cross reference links lead to exactly what we
already have.

By another strange twist of fate, there is a PPA on launchpad which
allegedly has a current version of mono, but it is only built for LTS
versions of Ubuntu, so to get the latest version of mono, I have to
unload Maverick and install an earlier version of Ubuntu. This is
starting to sound like an episode of "The Twilight Zone."

I am, as we speak, installing a new workstation which will have enough
resources that I would be able to build mono from source, as soon as
the 300MB of updates finish installing.  (Doing it on my laptop, which
already has two operating systems and seven versions of Python on it
was too much.)
That would do for testing. But then I would have to distribute my own
versions of mono and IronPython as well as my actual application code,
so it's not a good final answer.

So, back to my original question: What can I do to help get the distro
release up to the "latest stable version?" Should I be working on
Natty?
--
Vernon