Cannot type with onscreen keyboard in Application search field of Unity

Francesco Fumanti francesco.fumanti at gmx.net
Sun Mar 6 14:31:14 UTC 2011

Hi,

Could you please help me with the following problem: I am controlling the Ubuntu Desktop only with the pointer and an onscreen keyboard.

When using the Unity desktop, there is an "Applications Icon" that opens some kind of window showing a few applications and that has a search field at the top, to type the name of an application.  (not knowing its real name, I will call it application launcher)

I am aware that it is possible to make the application launcher show all the applications; but that is not my point here. My point is that the window of the application launcher disappears from the screen as soon as I click on the onscreen keyboard to type into the search field of the application launcher. By the way, I am using the default onscreen keyboard of Ubuntu, named onboard.

My question: how should onboard be enhanced to make it work with the application launcher of unity? Would it be enough if onboard passed some flags to the window manager (if so what flag?) or does it need some cooperation from Unity? (This is for example the case for the unlock feature of the screensaver that is prepared to embed onscreen keyboards.)

Could anybody please tell me how to proceed to solve this problem?

More generally, who should I contact for problems regarding pointer only users in Unity?

Cheers,

Francesco.