HDMI and automatically hardware recognition

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 8 22:07:25 UTC 2011

I'll comment on the audio side, as thats what I am involved in, and am watching upstream. Video wise, I think it depends on what drivers you are using, but I'll let someone else more qualified comment on that side of things.

On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 11:36:31PM EST, Yann Santschi wrote:
> A way to fix this problem, is to create something such as an "hardware
> profile" that contains settings and when a new display and/or audio
> output are detected (I think it's possible to detect a hardware
> change), a window / widget asks the user if he want's to apply saved
> settings or if he want's to set new settings.

Audio wise, there is work going on upstream to retrieve the information from any connected HDMI device, and use that information to correctly configure audio setup for use by the user. The lower level parts of the stack, i.e ALSA don't even have this implemented properly if at all yet, and once thats done, the pieces higher up the stack, i.e PulseAudio still need to be extended to work with ALSA to get the information needed, and set things appropriately.

In short, this is a known issue upstream, and it is being worked on, but I cannot give an estimate as to when it may be ready for use.

Luke