Busy work

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 4 17:33:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 12:44:55PM +0000, Reuben Thomas wrote:
> Just now, I got a notification about a bug I filed two and a half years ago:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pmount/+bug/237361
>
> It's a trivial man page formatting bug.
>
> In the last two and a half years, it has twice received the attentions
> of Ubuntu developers. Once, two months after I filed it; once, just
> now. Each time the developer changed some tags.
>
> Now, I don't want to downplay the importance of correct tagging of
> bugs, but, as I said, this is a trivial documentation bug. How about
> just fixing it?
>
> I see this happen again and again. It's sad, because it is not a good
> use of Ubuntu dev time, and the bug often takes ages to get fixed.

I appreciate your frustration and I'm sorry that we don't have time to
handle every bug report to everyone's satisfaction.  Having said that
it you are making an assumption that the people changing tags on this
bug report are developers.  The Ubuntu community includes more than just
developers, there are also bug triagers, documentation writers,
translaters and artists just to name a few.  Its entirely possible that
the person tagging your bug was not a developer and may not be a
position to "just fix it".

--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master