Unity and Classic

Matt Alexander ubuntu.com at mattalexander.com
Thu Dec 1 17:58:15 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 8:28 AM, Sebastien Bacher <seb128 at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Le 01/12/2011 17:11, Matt Alexander a écrit :
>

>> I don't like it because I can't find the most common apps anymore.  I
>> used to be able to navigate through the Applications menu using general
>> categories like Graphics, Games, Sound & Video, etc.
>>

> Is the issue there only the number of click to display the application
> lens with the installed applications not reduced to the default 1 line and
> with the filters on the side? This cycle Unity should make it things a bit
> easier there by:
> - letting you add lenses icons directly to the launcher, if you access
> often the application one you could get it there
> - remember some of the dash settings cross sessions
>
> Would you be happy with the application lens if it opened directly from
> the launcher with filters already on screen and the list unfolded for you?

I'm not sure what "application lens" means.  When I click the Ubuntu icon,
I get a full screen of 8 icons.  Let's say I'm interested in that Brain
game that I used to play on 10.04, but can't remember what the actual name
was.  So I type "brain".  I get an empty page back.  Hmm, OK, well,  let's
try something else.  How do I get back?  I have to click the Ubuntu icon
twice.  The first makes the blank results page go away.  The second brings
back the default 8 icons.  I then click "More Apps".  Hmm, it's not in the
short displayed list of apps.  I then click the tiny text that says, "See
89 more results" and scroll through lots of apps until I find the "brain"
icon that I remember from 10.04.  That's quite a bit of work compared to
10.04.

I totally missed the "Filter results" option before.  If that list of
categories was available after clicking the Ubuntu icon, then I'd be
happy.  I could then simply go Ubuntu icon -> Games -> gbrainy.

Another idea...  let's say I want to use gimp (and it's not installed yet),
so I type in "gimp" into the search box.  Instead of a confusing blank
page, provide a link to install the gimp package.

Thanks for considering this.