2.6.38-11-generic re-introduced old bug on Gateway FX6850-51u

Brian Vaughan bgvaughan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 14:33:33 UTC 2011

As I recall, following the kernel upgrade, I was trying to update my system
from the command line, using aptitude, and it warned of a conflict and asked
for confirmation to replace grub-efi-amd64 with grub-pc, which I denied. I
think update-manager queried about a "partial upgrade", so I thought it was
simply a problem of one package lagging behind the others as when installing
a beta distribution upgrade.

>From the time I installed Ubuntu on this system, grub-pc had been listed as
a "missing recommend" in synaptic.