2.6.38-11-generic re-introduced old bug on Gateway FX6850-51u

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 23 02:04:02 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:36:07AM -0700, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Actually, thinking about it, it may also be switching between grub-pc
> and grub-efi.  Originally, Ubuntu 11.04 installer put grub-efi on the
> system.  On next kernel update (where halting/rebooting problem was
> fixed), updater replaced grub-efi with grub-pc.

This *really* shouldn't happen and is a bug that needs to be addressed,
regardless of any of the other stuff here.  The logs in /var/log/apt/
and possibly /var/log/dist-upgrade/ may help to figure out why the
package management system felt it needed to do this.

> I'm not sure how and why would choice of boot loader (grub-pc vs.
> grub-efi) affect shutting down the system, but it looks like it does
> in some odd way!?

Booting in a completely different firmware mode, which is the effect of
switching between grub-pc (BIOS) and grub-efi (UEFI), could easily make
a difference here.