python app import guidelines

Stephen Burke steve.burke.56 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 17:43:32 UTC 2010

I am packaging up a python app to upload it to my PPA eventually.
Before this everything I have written is in one directory so all my
imports were simple.  Now that I am breaking up the app and the top
level script is in a "bin" directory and the helper scripts are in a
"helpers" directory on the same level.  How should my imports be with
this directory structure.  Would I modify the PYTHONPATH to add any
directories I need or is there a better way to do this?  I have read
python docs about imports but I'm wondering if there are any more
guidelines in terms of imports for python apps that are packaged for
Ubuntu.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve