Dump Google?

Manish Sinha manishsinha.tech at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 22:52:27 UTC 2010

On Sunday 12 September 2010 12:49 AM, Jordan wrote:
> Google does store user's information, such as I.P. addresses and the
> searches (yes, the I.P. address goes away after 8 months) and they
> transmit a crazy amount information back to the server (autocomplete for
> instance).

Well IP address logging isn't something new. All websites do it. Even
blogs! If you get a hosting with cPanel, the IP address logger is
installed by default. You wont be even knowing that your hosting is
logging the IP of people who are coming to your domain

Secondly, Google makes money by collecting information. They dont charge
us. I would be really keen to know how they would make money without
collecting information and also giving away for free.

BTW I would surely object if google collects some private information.
IP address is not a private information nor is User-agent string

> Or one thing we could do is still provide Google, but add a more private
> search engine to give the user's that option (I mentioned Startpage
> above).  I'm sure they would love to help improve open source.

One option should be there. Google for day-to-day people who care more
about their search results and dont care about google's collection of
data. One private engine for purists. And a few more for more
flexibility. Everyone should have something for them in the list of
search engines/

> Again, only a suggestion...I'm trying to make Ubuntu better as much as
> the next guy.  Sorry if I made anyone angry.

No. It didnt. Everyone is voicing their opinion. I don't think there is
something to get angry.

--
Manish