The new installer.

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Sat Sep 11 22:34:14 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 06:22:44PM +0530, Owais Lone wrote:
> I wonder what will the new installer install if I check the
> "install proprietary software.". Media codecs? Drivers?
> A lot of my friends have the broadcom wifi in their laptops, the driver is
> shipped with the Ubuntu CD. bcmwl-kernel-source.
> Would be great to have it installed automatically if the hardware is
> detected.

The effect of this option at the moment is to run 'jockey-text -a'
(which should indeed enable the Broadcom driver if necessary and
possible, I believe - though test this!), and to install
ubuntu-restricted-addons if you're using the GTK installer frontend or
kubuntu-restricted-extras if you're using the KDE installer frontend.