text-mode console font

Lucian Adrian Grijincu lucian.grijincu at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 07:54:53 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've recently seen that the console font (I mean the CTRL+ALT+Fn
console) used on my system does not support the diacritics specific to
the Romanian language (but other symbols like € and đ were missing
too). These characters are rendered as small squares. This is
particularly annoying as some manual pages are localized and one has a
hard time reading documentation to fix some general problem that
required a trip to CTRL+ALT+Fn land.

After searching a bit I found the console-setup package and saw
(fontforge) that at least a part of the fonts in there have glyphs for
these diacritics.

console-setup's README pointed me to the 'setupcon' utility. Running
'setupcon -v -f' in a console changed the console's font and brought
support for the missing diacritics (including € and đ).

I'm now stuck as I have no idea which program loads which fonts at
what time, and why 'setupcon -v -f' (or an equivalent) cannot be
executed by default when starting a virtual console.

Can someone point out what needs to be done to have proper font
support by default when one enters a Linux console with CTRL+ALT+Fn,
or at least point me to the package that needs fixing/tweaking?
--
 .
..: Lucian