Maverick Alpha3 +nvidia-96 +updates

Daniel Hollocher danielhollocher at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 20:09:42 UTC 2010

FWIW, I heard the problem is that the installers/upgraders will
happily install these broken drivers, leaving your computer unable to
fully boot.  If the drivers just refused to install, there would be
less of an issue.  I'm lucky enough to have a card that uses the
-current driver, but I saw a few folks on IRC with crashed xorg due to
nvidia drivers.

I remember hearing about a fall back mechanism, that would kick in the
nouveau driver, but I then I saw a bug report where it seemed that the
fallback for nvidia was abandoned.  Just wanted to bring that up, just
in case someone was relying upon that to manage these nvidia issues.