Prevent people from updates with critical components

Evan eapache at gmail.com
Sat May 29 12:19:44 UTC 2010

On Saturday, May 29, 2010, Joachim Langenbach <joachim at falaba.de> wrote:
> Yes, that's totally correct!
>
> And from my point of view, really many people don't read release notes

This is very true. I don't know what percent of users currently read
the release notes before upgrading, but I know that a very tiny
percent of computer users as a whole do.

> (including me). This are espacially new and unfamiliar users, but also other
> users, who think, if they release an update, it would work on most machines
> and of course every user thinks, that he owns such a pc. Another point is,
> that unfamiliar users may don't understand the notes either (I don't know,
> because I don't have read them ever, not the gentoo ones, not ubuntu ones).
>
> But such a system has the advantage, that really nobody can say afterwards,
> hey, you didn't mentioned, that it wouldn't work after the upgrade.

I think this is a great idea, and
I'm sorry I didn't reply earlIer. Having a simple method to parse the
release notes and check for possible known issues before proceeding
with the upgrade (or even a straight
install) would almost certainly save users a lot of headaches.
Including this tool as part of the windows-autorun app on the CD would
probably also be a good idea, if a lot more work.

Cheers,
Evan