SRWare Iron: Chromium without the data-mining

Ryan Oram ryan at infinityos.net
Tue May 18 23:00:52 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 3:33 AM, Jonathon Fernyhough
<j.fernyhough at gmail.com> wrote:
> Unless things have changed, Chromium does not include the tracking
> features of the branded Chrome. Hence, Chromium is fine. Plus it has
> the benefit of already being a full open source project.

It doesn't include everything, but it does include a lot of it. This
is outlined on the SRWare website. SRWare went through and removed all
of the offending code, so perhaps it would be best if Ubuntu/Debian
went and talked to them about officially packaging SRWare Iron for
inclusion into the Ubuntu and Debian distributions. SRWare Iron has
released source code as well, although it appears to be out of date.

> Why? Are there distribution restrictions on Chromium? In any event,
> Ubuntu distributes Firefox. Maybe talk to Debian?

I've posted this on the debian-devel mailing list as well. This was
posted out of a concern that Canoncial is thinking about switching
over to Chromium in later releases as Lubuntu has done already. I have
seen articles of this possibility as well. I don't feel making
Chromium the default browser is appropriate until the privacy issues
are addressed. I also feel that taking care these issues before a
switch to Chromium is even seriously considered is beneficial to
everyone.

>> I'm willing to put the infinityOS team behind this,
>
> So you and one other?

I have a team of about 5 people at the moment. My team is certainly
small, which would prevent us from taking a more central role in such
a project, but we would be more than willing to help package it and
test it.

>> but I would like
>> the help and support of the Ubuntu community.
>>

> To build and package Chromium? That's already being done for Maverick,
> and there are PPA channels for Release, Beta and Daily builds.

As infinityOS is based on the Ubuntu codebase and will stay that way,
whatever benefits Ubuntu will benefit infinityOS as well. As I have
said in prior posts, we intend to give back whatever we take. We have
an obligation to contribute to the Ubuntu community, as infinityOS
would not be possible without its great amount of work.

We would be more than willing to assist in a project to alleviate the
privacy concerns of Chromium.

> Good luck.

Thank you,
Ryan