Chromium for Xubuntu?

John Moser john.r.moser at gmail.com
Thu May 6 15:01:26 UTC 2010

I only use Ubuntu/Gnome, but Google seems to tell me the state of things is:

 - Ubuntu comes with Firefox
 - Xubuntu comes with Firefox
 - KDE comes with something called Arora

Arora seems to be a Webkit-based browser, as Chrome.

I'm currently playing with SRWare Iron, which is a build of Chromium
with most of the Google tracking stuff disabled or flat-out removed.
I think a sane default configuration of Chromium and a blanket
configuration setting that disables those "intrusive" Google
enhancements (like Search Suggest-- which by the way I enjoy in
Firefox...) would be a better approach to this.

More directly, I'm pondering if Xubuntu should default on Firefox; or
if something lighter-weight like Arora or Chromium would fit better.
I think the look and feel of Chromium is more natural to XFCE, though
it's a bit shocking to me (the lack of a status bar at the bottom is
one point of contention ...).  Plus Chromium is GTK+ based and uses
the current GTK+ theme; Arora is Qt based and would require Qt plus
qt-gtk-engine or something to look right, which would consume more
disk and memory and possibly be unstable.