Ubuntu needs a new development model

Ryan Oram ryan at infinityos.net
Thu May 6 02:03:51 UTC 2010

I apologize for the top posting. Gmail is not the best client for this. :P

The devs on Launchpad often don't have the most recent versions as the
fact that users have to go through hoops to add PPA (I do not expect
my dad to be able to add a PPA) limits their userbase. Increase the
number of people who will use the packages and the developer will be
encouraged to keep their PPAs better up to date.

I expect that any packages that are not done properly (which is VERY
hard to do with Launchpad) would be caught by the minimal testing. It
would be very easy to spot a package that made from a binary blob
tarball.

Ryan