Ubuntu needs a new development model

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com
Thu May 6 01:30:07 UTC 2010

On 6 May 2010 02:09, Ryan Oram <ryan at infinityos.net> wrote:
> It seems like a good site, but I ultimately feel it should be the
> developer themselves who package the applications, as the developers
> will have a much greater incentive to make working and tested packages
> then the maintainers (no offense to the great work of the maintainers
> of Ubuntu and Debian).
>
> Ryan

Upstream developers build from trunk and they don't care on how to
package it cause they personally do not need it.

Upstreams don't usually have a clue in packaging and spend quite a bit
of time trying to make it build and ignoring all lintian warnings
because someone asked them to & there is no real package available in
the archive.

These upstream debanisations are usually of poor quality and can do
nasty things to your machine (static libs, auto-updating and pinging
upstream about userbase => google chrome & they do know how to package
btw so this was on purpose and not to make it fit into the system)

If some project doesn't have a package it is either new, unnoticed, or
half-broken code that it cannot justify packaging effort.