too many virtual terminals by defaut

Flávio Etrusco flavio.etrusco at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 21:57:10 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Max Bowsher <maxb at f2s.com> wrote:
> Jérôme Bouat wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> I think that only 2 virtual terminals instead of 6 would be enough.
>>
>> I understand that most of the memory of the virtual terminals is shared.
>> However, it would decrease the number of processes (more human readable
>> process list, less processes context switch, ...).
>>
>> There is no small enhancement.
>
> Jerome,
>
> A decrease of 4 processes would have negligible effect on the overall
> system process list.
>
> An idle process should have negligible context switch overhead.
>
> Thus your proposal seems to me to have no advantages, yet would
> disadvantage people who actually use multiple VTs and would depart
> needlessly from standards/tradition.
>
> Max.

IIRC Fedora lowered the number of login terminals for reasons other
than process/memory overhead - though I can't remember what reasons
were from the top of my head ;-)
BTW, does a terminal allocate any video memory when using KMS?
I assume anyone using a high number of text/login terminals to be a
server administrator? Is 6 enough? What about Screen?

Best regards,
Flávio