too many virtual terminals by defaut

David Futcher david.futcher at bobbo.me.uk
Wed Mar 31 21:32:26 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-31 at 23:23 +0200, Jérôme Bouat wrote:
> On one side, if you want to use many virtual terminals, then it means
> that you have enough skills to configure additionnal terminals.

I entirely disagree with this. I use multiple virtual terminals every
day but would have no idea how to go about setting up any more. I'm sure
it's Google'able, but I'd rather not have to hunt down the command.

> On the other side, if you are a newbie, you will possibly never use a
> virtual terminal.

I also disagree with this. There were quite a few times when I was a
noob that I needed to use multiple virtual terminals (for example, when
my graphics card drivers failed, two instances of w3m in two vterms for
looking up help, a terminal for compiling the drivers and a fourth for
any other commands I had to run). This would have been much, much harder
had there been just two vterms.

Best wishes
--
David Futcher