Lots of Kernel related brakage in Lucid (amd64)

Scott Beamer geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Mon Mar 15 07:27:09 UTC 2010

Christopher James Halse Rogers spake thusly:

> On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 05:09 +0000, Scott Beamer wrote:
>> Just downloaded the latest nightly live CD and installed.
>>
>> After reboot computer freezes at splash screen.
>
> This might be plymouth; see if hitting SysRq+Alt+k kills the splash
> screen and brings up X.

You can kill the splash screen now? REALLY?!?!?! :D

>> Hardware:
>>
>> ASUS Laptop
>> Intel Core i5-430M CPU
>> 4GB of DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM
>> 500GB Hard Drive
>> NVidia GT325M Graphics Engine with 1GB DDR3 Dedicated VRAM (also Intel
>> Onboard GMA and sound).
>
> Ah!  Someone's got some switchable graphics.

Brand spanking-new NVIDIA "Optimus Technology. FTW.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/optimus_technology.html

Naturally, no Linux support out of the box....

> That's not going to be as
> well-tested as other setups, so you might run into problems others
> aren't seeing.

I hear it (NVIDIA Optimus) is supported under the Kernel that will be
part of Fedora 13....

> If you feel like some additional testing, the NouveauEvaluation wiki
> page[1] has instructions for testing more recent upstream versions of
> Nouveau.  There's at least one commit in there relevant to switchable
> graphics.

Unless Nouveau has improved since what's offered now in Fedora 12 then
I'm not interested. I'll be using the propriatory NVIDA drivers.

> Regardless of whether you test the newer nouveau, it would be useful if
> you could file a bug on launchpad.  “ubuntu-bug xorg” will attach a
> bunch of useful information.

The 2nd biggest issue I rasied in this thread was the linux-headers
package hanging when updating.....

Meanwile do you think my bootspash hang is related to X or is it a kernel
issue?