Package version numbers in names

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 10 09:21:50 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 14:55 -0500, Evan wrote:

> Thank you so much for clarifying, that makes more sense.
> Now let's throw symlinks into the mix :)
>
> Suppose libexample is at version 1.0 upstream.
> The previous version was version 0.5.
> The current package is named libexample0.5
> It has a version field of 1.0

This would not be compliant with policy.

The current package would be named libexample0 and have a version field
of 1.0 - the symlink would be libexample.so.0 -> libexample.so.0.5.x

> It installs libexample.so.1.0
> It also installs the symlink libexample.so.0.5 -> libexample.so.1.0

This would be a violation of policy.

The symlink would be libexample.so.1 -> libexample.so.1.0.x and if
packaged, this would be libexample1

These would not conflict.

> Now as I see it the problem exists in one of two places:
> Either upstream misincremented the major version number
> (without changing the API/ABI), or it has been mispackaged.

Neither.

It's perfectly valid for a package's version number and SONAME to be out
of sync.  One is the upstream version of a package, the other is the
library ABI/API version.

The poster child example here is glibc 2.x, which has a SONAME of
libc.so.6

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant