Ubuntu-devel-discuss Digest, Vol 40, Issue 13

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Mar 8 19:02:21 UTC 2010

> Subject: Re: Upstart (now, a very modest suggestion)
> From:    Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com>
> Date:    Sun, 7 Mar 2010 14:28:48 -0500
> To:      ubuntu-devel-discuss at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> I assume that the samba job has been split into two because there was
> a problem with nmbd not starting when smbd and nmbd were launched
> through samba.
>
> If you look at the respective conf files, you will see that nmbd
> requires a nic other than lo to be up before starting.

So, although it makes sense that there is little reason to run nmbd when
the only network connection is lo, it makes even _less_ sense, AFAIK, to
run smbd when there are no external network connections.  I couldn't
think of a single scenario where smbd does anything without networking
-- mounting local SMB file systems only requires mount.cifs, which is in
an entirely different package (smbfs).

Is one service/daemon per /etc/init .conf file part of the Upstart
design spec, perhaps?