Upstart (now, a very modest suggestion)

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 5 19:25:37 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-05 at 12:27 -0600, Patrick Goetz wrote:

> So of course it only took a little digging to discover that smbd and
> nmbd are now services started separately, and that (bizarrely) there is
> now a winbind daemon which is still started from /etc/init.d, but
> nevertheless a bit unnerving. (And why and since when has winbind been a
> separate daemon, anyway?! But I digress.)
>
> During the transition from Debianized Sys V Init to Upstart, how
> difficult would it be to keep the comfortable old /etc/init.d scripts in
> place, but so that these scripts simply tell command line users
> something like:
>
> pgoetz at data:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
>
>     The samba daemons are now started individually as services:  try
>     service smbd restart
>     and/or
>     service nmbd restart
>     Oh, and note that winbindd is now a separate process -- happy debugging!
>

> Again, some people, possibly myself, are old, feeble-minded, and
> distracted with lots of problems that go beyond the function of basic
> linux server services, hence discomfited when start/stop/restart
> commands that have worked for 10 years are suddenly missing with no
> explanation of how to proceed in the new world order.

That's exactly what we've done for the most part:

quest scott# /etc/init.d/cron restart
Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the
service(8) utility, e.g. service cron restart

Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
Upstart job, you may also use the restart(8) utility, e.g. restart cron
cron start/running, process 20151

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant