Possible Issue with libfile-rsyncp-perl 0.68 on ARM Processors

Norbert Hoeller nhoeller at sinet.ca
Wed Jun 30 17:26:46 UTC 2010

I recently moved my backuppc server from a Linux/Intel platform to Ubuntu
9.04 on a SheevaPlug with an ARM processor.  Although backuppc is working
fine in terms of the files themselves, data volumes are dramatically
higher than before.  Further investigation suggests that File::RsyncP is
reporting a high percentage of block mismatches even though the source and
target files were identically.  The rsync command does not show these
symptoms.

I have created a small Perl script that calls File::RsyncP to copy files
from one directory to another on the same system.  Test data are three log
files and three modules, each about 3MB in size.  On the Linux/Intel
system:
 * first test: Remote[2]: total: matches=0  hash_hits=0  false_alarms=0
data=17227776
 * subsequent tests: Remote[2]: total: matches=60027  hash_hits=60027
false_alarms=0 data=0

On the Linux/ARM system:
 * first test: Remote[2]: total: matches=0  hash_hits=0  false_alarms=0
data=17227776
 * subsequent tests: Remote[2]: total: matches=33300  hash_hits=1095771
false_alarms=0 data=7537086

On both systems, rsync is version 3.0.5 and File:RsycnP is 0.68.

The problem is easily reproducible and I can generate verbose log output.

I have reported the issue to Craig Barratt, the File::RsyncP author, and
am waiting for a response.

Any help in getting this resolved would be greatly appreciated!  Due to
recent bandwidth caps, I have had to drastically limit the number of full
backups.
        Thanks, Norbert