Ubuntu-devel-discuss Digest, Vol 43, Issue 19

Chris Jones chrisjones at comcen.com.au
Mon Jun 14 09:16:52 UTC 2010

> It might be worth pointing out that aptitude is preferred over apt-get
> in Debian [1]:
>
>    The preferred program for package management from the command line
>    is aptitude, which can perform the same package management functions
>    as apt-get and has proven to be better at dependency resolution.
>
> dpkg is not usable for package management and gdebi only makes
> installing local deb packages easier by resolving dependencies.
>
> Regards,
> Ansgar
>
> [1] <
> http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/amd64/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html#pkgmgmt

Thanks for your comments mate. I never claimed that dpkg and gdebi done any
more than just that. I was simply pointing out that in addition to apt-get's
functions, there really is nothing that aptitude can technically do that
can't be done already with other built-in tools.

But as pointed out already, it seems my wish has come true. Aptitude will be
included only by default in Server Edition of Maverick.

Regards

--
Chris Jones
Photographic Imaging Professional and Graphic Designer

Photo Resolutions - Photo Printing, Editing and Restorations
Web: http://photoresolutions.freehostia.com
Email: <chrisjones at comcen.com.au>