Aptitude included in Maverick by default

Michael Bienia michael at bienia.de
Sat Jun 12 12:33:04 UTC 2010

On 2010-06-12 00:10:57 +0100, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
> Debian aptitude is at 0.6.2.1-2, while ubuntu's aptitude is at
> 0.4.11.11-1ubuntu10
>
> I don't know why there is such a large version difference though and
> how much work needs to be done to merge these two together.

Lucid synced preferrably with testing and testing had for almost the
whole lucid development cycle 0.4.11.11-1 in testing. Aptitude 0.6.1.5-3
moved to testing on 2010-03-23. Way too late to get merged into lucid.

One could argue to merge with unstable earlier (aptitude 0.6.0.1-1 got
uploaded to unstable on 2009-10-25), but as I don't know how bug free
this version was (as aptitude 0.6.x needed almost 5 months to move to
testing) I don't know if it was an option to merge with unstable at all.

When looking at the changelog entries for those ten ubuntu uploads,
three uploads where pure rebuilds with a recent apt. And from the
changelog entries for the other Ubuntu delta and their size, it doesn't
look as that hard to merge them (if someone is up to this task).

Michael