Is Ubuntu commited to free software?

Krzysztof Klimonda kklimonda at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 9 21:23:00 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-09 at 16:51 -0400, Danny Piccirillo wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 16:37, David Schlesinger
> <lefty at access-company.com> wrote:

(...)

>         If you're not happy with the way the kernel project is being
>         run, I suggest
>         you'd do better to go talk to Linus and Andrew Morton about
>         it.
>
>         If Ubuntu's governance is not to your liking, there are plenty
>         of other
>         distros. If none of those is to your liking, you can roll your
>         own.
>

> The fact is that Linux is not entirely free, and there is a project
> which is the Linux kernel without the nonfree bits. Talking about
> linux governance is out of the scope of this discussion. Ubuntu's
> philosophy says it is free, but even the free software only option has
> nonfree bits. Why shouldn't i expect the mere option to have a fully
> free system using Ubuntu?

If you really believe such a kernel is needed shouldn't you gather some
developers who share your view and provide a PPA with a (fully supported
for all supported releases) libre-kernel independently from Ubuntu?
The problem is, as I see it, that we don't have enough developers to
prepare, test and supported such invasive changes that would be
appreciate only by handful of people.

--
Krzysztof Klimonda <kklimonda at ubuntu.com>